From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:55:27 -0600
Are you actually referring to United States Army officers from the South,
like George Thomas or Winfield Scott, who remained loyal to their country?  I
think these were not "northern generals," but rather Southerners who were
loyal to the United States of America.

But, what is your point?  That a few U.S. officers owned slaves?  As for the
Todds, is there a point to not forgetting this?  I am not sure how it adds to
the analysis of the causes of secession.

If you think secession was not about slavery they read the reports of the
secession conventions and read Alexander Stephens's cornerstone speech.  I
would think the Vice President of the Confederacy might be a reliable source
on this issue.  He is the one who called slavery the cornerstone of the
Confederacy.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law