From:
Richard Labunski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 13:05:57 -0400
Dear Jon and List Members:

(Editorial note:  I did not send my original note directly to the list; it
was forwarded by a recipient.  But I appreciate the chance to discuss these
issues).

Henry did try to prevent Madison's election to the First Congress because
he (Henry) believed that any amendments Madison proposed -- including
amendments protecting individual rights -- would be worse than
useless.  Henry feared that once they were approved, the momentum for more
radical amendments to reverse the transfer of power to the new federal
government would dissipate.  Henry also wanted to avenge wounded feelings
of honor after having lost to Madison at the Virginia ratifying convention.

Even after the Bill of Rights was finally approved by Congress and was
before the states, Henry spoke disparagingly of them and thought they would
not provide any protection against the new government.

Jon is certainly correct that the pressure that Anti-Federalist brought to
bear helped convince Madison and other Federalists to support a bill of
rights.  Anti-Federalists deserve credit for this, and some scholars have
eloquently identified their contribution in this regard.

But I argue in the book that Madison eventually came to genuinely support
adding such amendments to the Constitution if for no other reason than they
were demanded by the people.  He also had come to the conclusion that such
amendments could be beneficial.

Much of my book is devoted to Patrick Henry, and he has a rough time of
it.  I am critical of his continued efforts to prevent the approval of the
Bill of Rights by Congress and his behind-the-scenes effort to prevent
ratification in Virginia.

One other thing...Paul Finkelman is being modest when offering the citation
for his article in the Supreme Court Review.  It is an excellent discussion
of the issues, and I cite it with admiration in my book.

I look forward to reading more comments about this.

Richard Labunski