From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:03:31 -0500
Thanks, Kevin. I am thinking that a useful item would be traded before
pretties. Maybe that is incorrect. Roundtree described the labor and
discomfort of digging the tubers with a digging stick or by brute labor (the
surface of the tubors caused stinging to the skin), so I would think that
prudent women would seek first to make their labor easier. Perhaps that is
my own perception.

As I think on it, I wonder if the women would have taken the corn to the
settlement, or if the settlers would have come to the village to make the
trade. If the settlers did the traveling, they may not have thought to bring
a shovel, or maybe they did?

I just ordered two of Roundtree's books, in addition to the JSTOR article. I
may finish the story before they arrive, but since I am publishing on the
web, it is very easy to update the story when I get new information.

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert