From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:58:08 -0500
I, too, have mixed feelings about this information technology but I know
that my students, now two generations worth of young people, accept it
totally.  We are on the cusp of information technology (as I may have
written this list before) similar to that of the commencement of printing in
the West (the first book printed in China was the Diamond Sutra in I think
864 AD, which makes Guttenburg's Bible a sutra come lately.)
I suspect that in Guttenburg's and Caxton's century, the new book people
went to the scroll people to ask if there was anything worth knowing on
scrolls.  Similarly, the Internet people seem merely curious about what
might be in books that are physical entities to be held in the hands.

We are privileged to be alive to see and try to understand this remarkable
transformation but I suspect we are powerless to stop or impede it.
Moreover, it is important to note that living in Manhattan I can choose to
either Google or go to the NYPL, but that would not be true if I lived in
the Amazon or Mali.

Harold S. Forsythe