From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:37:10 -0700
Anita,

I, too, agree that Harold makes a good point regarding the Slave Narratives,
but neither his posting nor the one he was responding to have anything to do with putting blame on Africans and Islam for slavery (your words). As to your question:  What did the Africans and Islam have to do with Europeans enslaving Indians?  I don't understand what it has to do with Harold's posting, or the post he is replying to?  If we are going to discuss the "Natives who were enslaved", let's change the subject line.

Joanne

Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Harold,
This is an excellent point. While some posters have blamed Africans and
Islam for slavery, they do not take into account the Natives who were
enslaved. What did the Africans and Islam have to do with Europeans
enslaving Indians?

Anita

>From: Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe
>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Madison's slaves (and black descendants?)
>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:50:06 -0400
>
>Uh-oh.  Are we forgetting that these were elderly rural people, giving
>testimony in their old age during the latter half of the Great Depression,
>and without Social Security (farm workers were denied SS, minimum wage,
>unemployment, etc?)  Living aged in one of the worst economic times in US
>history, they remembered their childhoods fondly.  Is this a recommendation
>for slavery?
>
>Harold S. Forsythe
>----- Original Message ----- From:
>Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 5:01 PM
>Subject: Re: Madison's slaves (and black descendants?)
>

>>You will recall that during our discussion of the WPA Slave Narratives it
>>appeared that quite a few former slaves recalled fondly their years in
>>slavery
>>and the kindness of their masters.  So, from the perspective of former
>>slaves
>>it appears that there were indeed "good" slaveowners when judged by the
>>best
>>standard possible, those held in slavery.
>>
>>J South

>>http://www.aol.com.

 in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.