From:
Pat Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:07:45 -0600
I don't believe that the term is that clear cut. The parentage of slave was
often unclear.

Note this from http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/slavery.htm

In 1791 there was a sizeable "mulatto" population in St. Louis. Ninety-eight
total with 23 being free and 75 being slave. While the strict definition of
the term "mulatto" signifies one of mixed white and black ancestry, it is
known that some mulattos also had some Indian blood. There was significant
interbreeding between blacks, Indians and whites in certain segments of
colonial society that were on the fringes of the frontier. In Missouri, the
term mulatto and "colored" tended to be interchangeable. Often simply
meaning being light brown or yellowish skin tone and assuming one being of
mixed white-black ancestry.

Pat Duncan