From:
Bruce Terrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:47:54 -0500
Scholarship on types of watercraft used in Colonial Virginia is spotty
and often buried in theses, dissertations and other gray matter. I’m not
sure what type of craft was actually used at Gloucester but the rapid
current, heavy traffic and depth, likely ruled out the scow-hulled
chain/rope ferries that were common on narrower rivers. A common craft
on Colonial American waters was the galley barge. A keeled vessel,
adapted from the ship’s barge, they typically were manned by two to four
rowers in the bow while the passengers sat in the stern area with the
“patroon” who steered the rudder. Horses could also be transported in
this manner. The Mariner’s Museum library is an excellent source of
information for watercraft types. While a great deal of archaeological
work has been done to study riverine watercraft in North Carolina and
Maryland, Virginia’s contribution is pitifully low. It’s a shame
considering the importance of Virginia’s waterways to commerce and
transportation during the Colonial and early American eras.

Bruce G. Terrell
Marine Archaeologist
NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary Program
1305 East-West Highway
Silver Spring, VA 20910
bruce. [log in to unmask]