From:
Leslie Morales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:59:05 -0500
Last week's message about "Priscilla's Homecoming" included a typo.
The correct URL is www.AfricanaHeritage.com -- not www.AfricanHeritage.com

LAM

There is at least one case of  "an unbroken paper trail" from Africa to
Charleston, South Carolina.

Thomalind Martin Polite is a direct descendant of a 10 year old girl who
was kidnapped from Africa in 1756, placed aboard the slave ship Hare in
Sierra Leone, and sold in the Charleston market to rice planter Elias
Ball.  This series of events was brought to light by Edward Ball, author
of Slaves in the Family, and anthropologist Joseph Opala, who has spent
more than thirty years researching the Gullah/Sierra Leone connection.

In May 2005, Mrs. Polite and her husband traveled to Sierra Leone at the
invitation of President Kabbah.  (In the interest of disclosure:  I
traveled with the Polites and a selected group of scholars, writers, and
community activists).

To learn more, visit Yale University's "Priscilla's Homecoming" website
at www.yale.edu/glc/priscilla.  Documents and images tell the full story
of Priscilla's capture, the voyage to Charleston on a slave ship that
originated in Rhode Island, and her purchase by Elias Ball.   To view a
travelogue and photo diary, visit www.AfricanaHeritage.com and click on
"Priscilla's Homecoming."

The events leading up to and including the Homecoming have also been
described in magazines -- "Building a Bridge to Africa," American Legacy
(Winter 2007) and "Long Journey Home." Charleston Magazine (February
2005) -- and serialized in newspapers by Herb Frazier (Charleston Post
and Courier) and Paul Davis (Providence Journal).

Leslie Anderson Morales
Reference Librarian
Local History/Special Collections
Alexandria Library