From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:17:27 -0400
Janet,

  You are right, serfs were bound to the land not to the owner as
chattel.  But this was a system of bondage that had existed west
of the Elbe in medieval times and through the process of enclosure,
the serfs were expelled from the land in England, France, etc.
Thus, the Russian solution in 1862 was not the only one possible.
  Likewise, when blacks liberated themselves in Haiti (San
Domingue), they seized the land.  Early governments under
L'Overture, Desaline, and Henri Christophe tried to mandate
continued production of sugar on these lands.  The peasantry
resisted.  Only the fourth ruler of Haiti, Petion realized the futility of
even a black government forcing the freedpeople to continue
producing the hated plantation crop.  His reform was to deed the
settlers with the land that they occupied, in exchange for an
agreement on their part to pay taxes to support the state.
Meanwhile, in the US, emancipation came with taxes and precious
little land.  A devastating consequence for a chiefly agrarian
population.

Harold S. Forsythe
History & Black Studies
Fairfield University