Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:02:31 -0500
The 19th Virginia Infantry had a band but I was unable to locate much
info re it; see my book 19th Virginia Infantry (1987), pages 49-50.
Good luck in your research.
Prof. Ervin L. Jordan, Jr.
University of Virginia

-------------------
> Glorious News!!!!  After over a year of searching, I have located a
semi-professional 19th century brass band with musicians of the
calibre need to perform the band books  of the 19th Va Heavy Arty
Band.  They are also excited about making a CD.

> At this point, I'm not sure what the full play-list of the CD will
be, or its title, or even its exact focus.  Generally, I would like to

stress (1) that this is Virginia music from the Civil War, and (2) the

fact the music is from the Museum of the Confederacy.  Perhaps other
selections from the MOC will be put on the CD, but that's only in the
early stages.   I hope the project is completed by the middle of
April, and CDs will be available by early May.

> Given (1) above, I would like to weave in ANY reports of Virginia
bands during the Civil War.  At this point, I only have two:  One is
the very fine book about the Stonewall Brigade Band from which I can
extract enough, and the second is a minor reference by Shelby Foote
about a brass band in Petersburg playing so loudly when Grant's army
first appeared, that the army thought the Confederates were in town in

strength.  It is a delightful story and gives an interesting twist to
General Lee's observation that "You cannot have an army without
music...."   But I have not found ANYBODY who can substantiate the
story.

> I guess I should add a third which are several references to "The
Armory Band" performing in Richmond during the war, but I have nothing

beyond that.

> Anyway, I would appreciate any stories, references, programs, etc.
of Virginia Brass Bands during the Civil War.  Try to make it as
self-contained as possible, since I'm up here in the boonies and it
takes about 3 hours to get to Richmond to follow up on any research.