From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 20:20:17 +0000
Dear Ami and others:
I think the main purpose of treating slaves as real property was for intestate succession.  For example, a widow would have a dower right in slaves if they were real property.  It has been a long time since I looked at this, but my impression is that slaves were treated as chattel rather than real property for almost all of the 18th century and in the 17th century as well.  I am not where I can browse through my set of Hening, but I don't recall ever seeing slaves treated as real property in VA.  They were in Maryland, early on.
Paul FinkelmanArielF. Sallows Visiting Professor of Human Rights LawCollegeof LawUniversityof Saskatchewan15Campus DriveSaskatoon,SK  S7N 5A6   [log in to unmask]
c) 518.605.0296
andSeniorFellowDemocracy, Citizenship and Constitutionalism Program
Universityof Pennsylvania

CallSend SMSCall from mobileAdd to SkypeYou'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype