From:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2017 15:11:50 -0400
This is a question concerning the early development of Richmond dating back to William Byrd days and hoping to sort out a couple of questions... one seems to conflict depending on who you read.

It is said that John Coles from Ireland, had property already established when William Byrd laid out the 32 square "city" of Richmond in 1737. That Coles also owned land East of the grid that is now the Church Hill neighborhood and later, sold property to Richard Adams.

Some books replaces John Coles with his son Isaac Coles as being the settler and seller but other books on the family history, seems to indicate that even though Isaac was born in Richmond, he settled in Hanover?

I am asking, what brought John Coles to the Richmond area?  We know the history of why Byrd came.  And, where can I find the property sale links for Coles for the Church Hill area of Richmond (originally called Indian Hill and Richmond Hill) as well as that for the sale to Adams?  I find those for the sales of squares in the original plan but not outside of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated...  Thanks!!

Eric