From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2013 11:26:24 -0500
John Hope Franklin in *The Free Negro in North Carolina* does note that the
"meritorious service" standard was relaxed by many county courts in the
first decades after the Revolution, especially in the Quaker areas. North
Carolina's free black population doubled in the years from 1820 to 1860,
from about 15,000 to 30,000, mostly it appears from natural increase. In
the same period, Virginia's rose from almost 37,000 to 58,000 (a slower
rate of growth but more Virginia free blacks went to Liberia than did those
from NC).

Just an aside on how Southern History has changed. When I cited John Hope
Franklin's book in a graduate history class at Wake Forest University in
the late 1960s, the professor commented that I "was seeing history through
dark colored glasses."

Jim Hershman