From:
Louise Bernikow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:54:14 EST
2 pts not yet raised in this discussion, which i treasure:
1. Pocahontas was not  "an Indian" --she was a princess. That was  entirely
the point of the marriage and of taking her to London to show her off--  she
was considered the equivalent of a King's daughter and her conversion
(religous, plus her "white" name and the clothes she was trucked out in)  was a prime
example of the success of the English in "civilizing" the natives.
2. The English (white men) were terrifed of being "polluted" -personally  and
as a culture-- by the "barbarians" -- which accounts, i'm sure, for the  lack
of reported rapes, for example, in this period--in contrast to Spanish use
of rape as a colonizing tool.

But while we're on it, I'm eager to know anything beyond the usual meager
sources about Pocahontas/ son, who returned to Virginia to take over his
rightful lands and position in white society....
In addition to Helen Roundtree, I suggest Karen Kupperman's work to all
interested parties.
Louise Bernikow
http://www.aol.com.