From:
Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:59:58 -0400
Dr. Wienick:  Could you please explain the "dower slaves" that Martha Custis Washington owned according to several accurate accounts( please see "The Diaries of George Washington" and other sources)that she brought to Mt. Vernon after her marriage to General Washington?  and I agree with you.  He did indeed grow to hate slavery. Phyllis Wheatley's poem written by her to honor Washington after he was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army  plus her invitation to meet with him for a few minutes after his taking command of the Continental forces possibly led him to consider this situation in a more serious light.  Jane Steele.