From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 06:05:25 -0400
On May 15, the VMI Brass Band, under the leadership of Col. John Brodie, will make its debut in Lexington, VA as part of the annual New-Market Day ceremonies. This is the most outward and visible sign of the Virginia Brass Band Center at VMI which will provide a focal point for Virginia's 19th century brass-band/town-band heritage. The cadets play Over-The-Shoulder saxhorns, common in the 1850's and 1860's but not seen much around these parts since the army replaced long marches with transportation by rail. This is the only band in Virginia, and perhaps even in the US, where such a band with OTS horns is an integral part of student life.

Their Greater Virginia debut will be at the Museum of the Confederacy where on June 3 they will provide period music in the afternoon. I don't know either program but Col. Brodie tells me they will play music from THE BRASS BAND JOURNAL-1854 and the band books of the 19th VIRGINIA HEAVY ARTILLERY BAND, as well as other standards of the day. e.g.

- SHENANDOAH

- THE LILY LEE WALTZ

and that favorite of the 19th Heavy Artillery Band:

- DEAR MOTHER I'VE COME HOME TO DIE QUICKSTEP

Seriously that's the name AND the tempo from some long forgotten Virginian ca. 1864-1865.

Not wanting to clog up the VA-HIST wires with an image, I have NOT attached a picture of the band, but if you would like to see them in their full glory, complete with the new bass saxhorn (it must be the largest single chunk of brass in the valley), send me an E-Mail and I'll reply with a 28-kilobyte photo suitable for framing.

If you have a celebration which hearkens back to 19th Century Virginia, the band would be an ideal addition. For booking arrangements, I suggest you get in touch with Col. Brodie directly at VMI. He can be reached at [log in to unmask] .

Randy Cabell