From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 15:47:00 -0230
I think that there has been too much emotional handwringing over the 400th as
far as people tripping over themselves cast the the colony in different
lights to suit their agendas.

I am really getting tired of the colony being portrayed as a bunch of evil
white Europeans whose presence in the New World is to rob the natives of
their lands and lives as part of some genocidal masterplan. I am all in favor
of examining this history, warts and all, but the judgmental attitudes of
those weighing in from their various cultural perspectives is getting really
old.

There is ample documentation available that in a general sense, the English
wanted to deal fairly with the Indians. Granted it didn't always come out
that way in practice but there was some acknowledgement of the rights of the
Indians.

I think the Lawes Divine, Moral, and Martial first instituted by Sir Thomas
Gates in May of 1610, amply illustrates this.

Some excerpts:

article 1.9
...No man shall ravish or force any woman, maid or Indian, or other, upon
pain of death,...

article 1.16
No man shall rifle or despoil, by force or violence, take away any thing from
any Indian coming to trade, or otherwise, upon pain of death.

article 2.44
Whosoever shall give offence to the Indians in that nature, which truly
examined, shall found to have been cause of breach of their league, and
friendship, which with so great travail, desire, and circumspection, we have
or shall at any time obtain from them without commission so to do , from him
that has authority for the same, shall be punished with death.

article 2.45
Whosoever shall wilfully, or negligently set fire on any Indian dwelling
house, or Quioquisock house or temple, or upon any storehouse, or garner of
grain , or provision of what quality soever, or disvaledge, ransack , or ill
intreat the people of the country, where any war, or where through any march
shall be made except it be proclaimed, or without commandment of the chief
officers shall be punished with death.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 12:52:34 -0400, Lyle E. Browning wrote