From:
"Jones, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:23:14 -0400
The "great gust" that occurred in 1667 was described in a letter by
Secretary Thomas Ludwell.  Ludwell described the late August storm as the
worst ever to hit Virginia.  It resulted in the destruction of an estimated
10,000 houses in Virginia and Maryland as well as the crops in the fields.
Ludwell's letter can be found in the Virginia Magazine of History and
Biography, vol. 19, p. 250.

Jennifer Jones
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
P. O. Box 1776