From:
"William B. Whitley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 13:00:46 +0000
I'll repeat Kevin Hardwick's recommendation of Pete Daniel's fine overview of the process of agricultural mechanization and labor usage. Under a slave regime, the same process would have rendered much of the rural workforce superfluous. I guess one counterfactual that we could ask would be if the greater resources of a southern plantocracy not burdened by a devastating war and the loss of their primary capital investment would have enabled a swifter trend toward technological innovation. Perhaps so, but I don't believe this would have meant the death knell of slavery. As others have pointed out, it was an adaptable institution, and slaves performed any number of technically sophisticated tasks.

But ultimately, I find this interesting question off point. Slavery drove a lot of the economic decisionmaking in the South, but its abolition was, and remains, fundamentally a political, not an economic question.

Bland Whitley
Papers of Thomas Jefferson