From:
Sam Treynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:14:07 -0500
Thanks for the kind response, Kevin.

I welcome the description "principled libertarian" as high praise.  I think
that good uses of property are most likely to be developed by private owners
(consider the "problem of the commons"), and so would agree with Mr. South
that the land at Fort Monroe should be sold to private interests.  But not
necessarily to private developers.  I might be willing to support a private
effort to keep it as a valuable history site.

The study of history is certainly valuable in part because it contributes to
our better character, as well as because of its intrinsic interest, and this
value is enhanced by its being public in the sense of publicly available.
But this does not imply that it should be a public good in the sense that it
is paid for by taxes.  Surely one of the lessons of history is the danger of
government being in control of ideas, and censoring or outlawing those with
which it disagrees.

You write that libertarians do not concern themselves with what it takes to
sustain a thriving republic.  Actually we think that thriving is best
accomplished in a world of liberty.

The only Tocqueville I've read is his Memoir on Pauperism, but I agree that
I should read more of him.

Sam