From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:46:29 -0500
Hi, Paul.

Am just looking at your message from home late in the evening, so I
can't give you a primary source (though see below), but some strategic
googling yielded this:

 From
http://oha.ci.alexandria.va.us/archaeology/decades/ar-decades
-1770.html:

"In 1772 the House of Burgesses directed a petition to the Throne,
imploring "your majesty's paternal assistance in averting a calamity of
a most alarming nature. The importation of slaves into the colonies
from the coast of Africa hath long been considered as a trade of great
inhumanity, and under its present encouragement we have reason to fear
will endanger the very existence of your Majesty's American dominions."
The 1774 Fairfax Resolves called for "an entire stop forever put to
such a wicked, cruel, and unnatural trade." "

And from American Heritage Magazine's "Time Machine" feature for April
1997 (volume 48, issue 2),
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1997/2/
1997_2_95.shtml:

"1772  Two Hundred and Twenty-five years Ago
Stopping the Slave Trade
On April 1 Virginia’s House of Burgesses petitioned King George III of
England for “your Majesty’s paternal assistance in averting a Calamity
of a most alarming Nature.” Specifically, they asked the king to let
them ban the importation of slaves, which “hath long been considered as
a Trade of great Inhumanity” and might “endanger the very Existance of
your Majesty’s American Dominions.” . . .  Despite the burgesses’
fawning manner (“We, your Majesty’s dutiful and loyal Subjects . . .
beg Leave, with all Humility, to approach your Royal Presence”), King
George rejected their request. "

As you probably know, the obvious source for the 1772 episode would be
John Pendleton Kennedy, ed.,  Journals of the House of Burgesses of
Virginia 1770-1772 (Richmond, Va. [The Colonial Press, E. Waddey Co.],
1906), Library of Congress call number  J87 .V6 1770-1772c.

Best--

--Jurretta Heckscher