From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:44:43 -0400
Neil,

Thanks to you and Herbert, I am revisiting the Kukla book. I found the
section that I had stated was compelling to me in seeing that Jefferson had
strange views of the value/use of women. You will find the relevent passages
in pages 35-40 in Jefferson's Women by Jon Kukla. Jefferson was past age 20
when he unsuccessfully courted Rebecca Burwell, and the various entries in
his Commonplace Book that Jon quotes were written in the years between
Rebecca's refusal and his own marriage. While still a young man, he was
older than an "adolescent". It is interesting that also during those years
he began his decade-long pursuit of Betsey Walker which was not interrupted
by his marriage to Martha. You can read about the Betsey Walker affair in
the chapter beginning on page 41.

As you are a fellow non-professional in the pursuit of history, I strongly
recommend that you read the Kukla book in its entirety and form your own
opinions.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert