From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 11:42:40 -0400
There was indeed input from  Native Americans but has to know where to
look.  One famous example, shown below, was given in June 1744 to the
College of William and Mary in response to their invitation that the Six
Nations send twelve boys to the school:

"Sirs,
 We know that you highly esteem the kind of Learning taught in those
Colleges, and that the Maintenance of our Young Men, while with you,
would be very expensive to you.  We are convinc'd, therefore, that you
mean to do us Good by your Proposal; and we thank you heartily.  But
you, who are wise, must know that different Nations have different
Conceptions of things; and you will therefore not take it amiss, if our
Ideas of this kind of Education happen not to be the same with yours.
We have had some Experience of it.  Several of our Young People were
formerly brought up at the Colleges of the Northern Provinces; they were
instructed in all your Sciences; but, when they came back to us, they
were bad Runners, ignorant of every means of living in the Woods, unable
to bear either Cold or Hunger, knew neither how to build a Cabin, take a
Deer, or kill an Enemy, spoke our Language imperfectly, were therefore
neither fit for Hunters, Warriors, nor Counsellors; they were totally
good for nothing.  We are, however, not the less oblig'd by your kind
Offer, tho' we decline accepting it; and, to show our grateful Sense of
it, if the Gentlemen of Virginia will send us a Dozen of their Sons, we
will take Care of their Education; instruct them in all we know, and
make Men of them."

IF I recall correctly, the source is housed among the special
collections at the College of William and Mary, but it can also be found
in printed books, such as "Letters of a Nation" by Andrew Carroll or
"Touch the Earth" by T.C. McLuhan.

Swem's index also lists names of some of the Indian students at the
College of William and Mary if anyone is interested- here are a few of
the names listed for the years 1754 and 1755 - Gideon and John Langston,
Charles Murphy, John Montour, William Squirrel, and John and Thomas
Sampson.  [See vol. 6 of "William and Mary Quarterly," first series, No.
3, p. 188; vol. 1 of ditto, 2nd series, No.1,  pp. 32, 35, 36, 38, 39.]