Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 19:38:48 -0500
Much has been said at this forum and elsewhere about historians assuring the
accuracy of their history accountings.  Can you tell us, Fred, what was the
'actual' supposed quote without your extensive editorial paraphrasing?  And
what was this quotation taken from, "page 52" of what I wonder, a speech by
Congressman Stephens before a committee, the house or what?  And did he
assuredly state these exact words or were they simply "attributed to
[Stephens]" by an unknown source?

Congressman Stephens was "elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-fifth and to
the nine succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1897-March 3, 1917); chairman,
Committee on Indian Affairs (Sixty-second through Sixty-fourth Congresses);
unsuccessful candidate for renomination in 1916," according to several
internet sources that anyone may find.  He dedicatedly served his country as
federal Congressman from Texas for 20 years -- this was during an era
firstly of Spanish-American War times ending with World War I issues and
federal budgets.

Was there really a "race issue [resulting] in the loss of federal funding"
as you say (citings?), or was there simply a loss of federal funding, I must
wonder.  Did all or the vast majority of those House members and Senators in
Washington who apparently voted for lesser funding in those early times
actually have racially "biased belief [and complete agreement]" with your
stated quote "attributed to" Congressman John Hall Stephens (1847-1924), as
you state??  This obviously begs the question of factual citations.

Paul, I greatly admire and respect your writings and contributions to this
list.  It just seems to me that your words here smack of bias themselves.  I
hope there can be more discussion and factual contributions about a supposed
quote that terribly 'smears' the legacy of a dedicated American (and all of
his counterpart Representaives and Senators) of a prior era -- whom I knew
nothing about until your severe posting, and I'm not even a Texan.

Regards to all,
Neil McDonald