From:
"Michael B. Chesson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:53:21 -0400
The poll tax was struck down by the 24th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution in 1964, I think.  Yet York County, where I lived briefly after college graduation and before my Navy service, was still assessing it in 1969-70 when I worked for the National Park Service.  I paid my county tax, which had a pie chart breaking down the various components, one of which was a poll tax.  When I told my late father, he said, "You idiot.  They can't do that.  It's now illegal."  But they did do it.  How long they continued to do so I don't know; maybe they still are.

Michael B. Chesson
Founding Professor
American College of History
   & Legal Studies