From:
Peter Henriques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:16:07 EST
As a George Washington scholar, I have been following the opening of the  new
Education Center and Museum with considerable interest. I might dispute a
few of their conclusions and approaches, but on the whole I think it is very
impressive and worthwhile. The biggest complaint from visitors was that they
left after a visit to Mount Vernon knowing very little more about GW than they
knew when they arrived. The new Education Center will change that and change
it  in a way that is of interest to visitors of all ages.  Even those who have
been to Mount Vernon many times will find a new visit rewarding and school
age  children will enjoy the visit much more with all added videos and
technological  activities - which start with a bust of GW whose eyes follow as you walk
around  the lobby and including reconstructions of GW as he looked at the
ages of 19,  45, and 57 and high tech videos and even a full exhibit on GW's
famous teeth,  including a set of his original dentures.

Peter Henriques