From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:20:11 -0500
The Library of Virginia has a microfilm of the interment records for
Shockoe Cemetery in Richmond.

I recall several summers ago wanting to find a gravestone there to
ascertain whether it contained life dates, and I got the date of burial
and the section and lot number from the record and went out to the
cemetery, only to find that there is no grid that identifies sections or
lots and that surprisingly few stones survive except in the central
portion of the cemetery. After walking over the entire cemetery and
nearly roasting in the August weather, I found the stone, which had only
year of death . Alas.

But the records are available on microfilm at the Library of Virginia.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us