From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:57:01 -0400
Indeed, and you won't see their names on the list of men issued passes. One of them I happen to know a great deal about, much of it from his Confederate pension in Tennessee, where he ended up via St. Louis County, Missouri after the war. One of the questions was when they took the oath of allegiance and he answered in 1870 so he could vote in county elections. He also goes into some detail about not sticking around for the surrender. His brother, my g-grandfather, also went to St. Louis County and stayed there. He wasn't at Appomattox when the war ended, however. He was a guest of the federal government at wonderful resort called Point Lookout, Maryland. He wasn't paroled until June. How he got home is anybody's guess. I've read many different accounts of that, usually involving hopping a train. Some accounts say the men took their sweet time getting home, such was the hospitality of the vanquished people along the way, there was no big hurry. In the case of Culpeper, not much to go home to anyway.

Craig Kilby