From:
Debra Rookard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Rookard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:59:53 -0400
Randy,

The Commonwealth could be better organized in their visibility, considering its place in
the nation's history.The only one I could quickly pull up concerning citizen entry into a
private cemetery is:

§ 57-27.1.
After reasonable notice to the property owner at his last known address, representatives of
local historical commissions may enter upon the land of a private or family cemetery for
the purpose of conducting official business, unless the property owner objects.

Although below is the law in NC, I am certain I have read similar wording in the VA code:

G.S. 65-74 and G.S. 65-75 discuss who may enter private property in order to investigate,
visit, or maintain a private grave or an abandoned public cemetery: A descendant of the
interred or any other person with a special interest in the site may do so. He or she must
notify the landowner in writing of his or her intent and then may visit periodically during
daylight hours only, with the landowner's approval. If such approval cannot be obtained,
the descendant may petition the clerk of superior court for an order allowing him or her
access. After a special proceeding providing for notice and a hearing, the clerk may issue
such an order, if deemed appropriate.

<1 - Is there any formal or informal organization in the Commonwealth which maintains
records or has an interest in such abandoned' graveyards?>

I am not aware of such an organization in VA, but if anyone would like to read about a
state that does it very well, go to:

http://www.arch.dcr.state.nc.us/cemetery.htm

Debra Rookard