From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:39:32 -0400
I frequently consult Cappon and Duff's Virginia Gazette index for the
period 1738-1780 on the Rockefeller Library pages of the Colonial
Williamsburg website - where one can call up a splendid digital image of
any page to which the index has a citation. It is a wonderful resource,
recently improved to facilitate moving from one page to another within
each four-page issue of any given week's Gazette.
   Cappon and Duff's Index (and I presume the CW digital files) was based
on the extant issues of the Virginia Gazette that were microfilmed some
decades ago.  There are many gaps in the file of extant issues,
reflecting weekly issues of the Gazette that were not then known to
exist. For example, based on a letter to the editor William Rind in mid
February 1768, I would love to see a copy of the January 28, 1768,
issue of Rind's Virginia Gazette, but it is not one that Cappon and
Duff indexed or that the CW website provides.
   In the decades since Cappon and Duff did their index, I presume that
additional copies of the Gazettes may have been found in various
libraries. From time to time I've also heard about newspaper projects
in various states.
   Has anyone compiled a fresh and up-to-date listing of extant issues of
the 18th-century Virginia Gazettes? Has anything been done to up-date
the microfilm by adding formerly inaccessible issues that may have been
located in recent decades?

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463