From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:51:10 -0500
Mr. Dixon:  I think it is interesting that an individual of that era and
particular political culture, with its refined notions of honor and fame,
would not address such a libelous statement.  Hamilton did in the
Reynolds affair (he owned up); Edmund Randolph did (and in terms that
impugned the character of his accuser George Washington).  When these men
weren't penning their own vindications, other were doing it for them.
Where were Jefferson's defenders?  If there is silence in the evidence it
seems it is on both sides.

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston