From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:24:34 -0400
This was not technically a judicial beheading, which would suggest that
a slave was executed by having his head cut off. The head was cut off
and stuck up in a conspicuous place after the slave was hanged. Jim
Watkinson is quite correct in his earlier message that the beastly
practice of mounting the head of an executed slave on a pike was not
uncommon in colonial Virginia. It served as a potent warning to other
slaves not to misbehave. I have seen more than a few references to this
practice in newspapers and in court order books, but I do not recall an
Alexandria example.

News of such events sometimes got into the newspapers. Don't neglect the
Maryland Gazette, which was published in Annapolis, and often contained
news from Virginia counties in the Potomac watershed,sometimes news that
did not get printed in Williamsburg. Philadelphia newspapers, of which
there were several at the time, also sometimes picked up information
that did not make it southward into the Williamsburg newspapers.

Two English periodicals that immediately occur to me are the ANNUAL
REGISTER and the GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE, but those were monthly
publications and would not have such specific date citations as this.
However, often times when a printer was setting type for something that
he'd seen in another publication, he used the date line of the other
publication. Which is to say, an American publication of 20 February
1768 might be the source for the story as originally published. So an
English periodical might be dated from two to ten months later.

The order to cut off the executed slave's head and stick it on a pike
should have been entered in the Fairfax County Order Book at the time of
the condemnation of the slave to death, but I seem to recall that the
order book is incomplete for that period. One of the leading justices of
the peace, such as a George Mason or a George Washington, would probably
have been present at the time; but if they didn't mention the episode in
their surviving letters, their silence could readily be attributed to
the fact that such an event was not excessively unusual.

There's an outside chance that after the execution the slave's owner
might have petitioned the General Assembly for the recovery of the value
of the executed slave, and the record of the petition in the Journals of
the House of Burgesses might furnish clues for finding sources for the
event.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us