From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:19:16 -0500
Me thinks that, lacking more specific studies involving disturbing graves,
that the long obscured fact that TJ *may* have been the father of some of
his slaves and specifically by Sally Hemmings is finally being aired. The
scientific evidence that it is indeed possible, confirming the oral
evidence that it was so, seems pretty strong to me... Keeping a sniggling
"maybe it wasn't so" in the back of one's mind is always healthy in
studying history ... but in this case, it would just obfuscate the truth
that much more.

                                        Anne Pemberton

At 11:26 AM 3/29/01 -0600, Judy Baugh wrote:
It seems to
>me that the salient issue is what information from the results of the DNA
>study will be incorporated into the general and enduring public awareness
>about our
>  Will the well-obscured fact that he may *not* have been the father
>  Or will we firmly hypostatize a
>relationship that may never have existed? Rgds.,
>Judy Baugh Harold S. Forsythe wrote        &            I believe "fiasco"
>refers to the widespread conclusion, based on the findings of the initial
>Jefferson DNA study (as reported in 'Nature', 1998), that TJ sired one or
>more of Sally Hemings' children.
>

>   To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
>instructions at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html
Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45