From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:43:35 -0500
Indeed it did. There was another proviso though, that seems to go unnoticed, and that is that in the case of an intestate leaving several children, the heir-at-law had to pay his siblings their share of the value. That was hardly feasible in most cases, hence why we so many division of slaves among children in intestate estates—he paid his siblings in-kind with the slaves. I wish to thank our colleague Barbara Vines Little for bringing that to my attention.

I don’t think the law was enacted to direct the law of inheritance, but as a means of protecting assets from creditors, as Holly Brewer’s article (referenced here earlier) discusses in great detail. The fact that we see the division of slaves so frequently suggests it was an easy law to get around. Unless the heir-at-law really, really wanted to own all the slaves and could afford to buy out his siblings, he could. Dower rights excepted of course.

Also, in 1727 this act was amended (Hening IV, 222-229) making a lot of changes but not outright repealing the law that made slaves real estate in the case of intestates. It returned their status to chattel in a number of circumstances, however, and other changes.

Craig Kilby