From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:32:14 -0400
A search of Lexis-Nexis finds an article from the Virginian Pilot of February 18, 2001, that appears to be about the building in question.  It begins:

_________________

The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk, Va.)
February 18, 2001 Sunday Final Edition
SECTION: LOCAL, Pg. B1

PLEASURE HOUSE OF EARLIER TIMES LIVES ON IN A ROAD NAME
BYLINE: GEORGE TUCKER

Pleasure House Road in the northern sector of the city of Virginia Beach took its name from the fact that during Revolutionary and early Federal times it was the primrose path of dalliance to a Chesapeake bayside "watering place" or tavern of the same name to which Norfolk and Princess Anne area sports, satirically referred to by a contemporary as "the Pleasure House crowd," gathered to gamble and drink.

Even so, the long popular watering hole also served during the first two decades of the 19th century as a lookout and vantage point on the Chesapeake Bay from which military observers before and throughout the War of 1812 could spy on the hostile activities of the British naval forces in nearby Lynnhaven Bay and off Cape Henry.

I'd be happy to forward the entire article to you directly!

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Consulting & Research
The Cybernetick Inkwell Web Design & Development
http://www.factsmith.com/