From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:23:58 -0500
I know the Cherokee were well known for having slaves, but that was
probably more in NC and elsewhere, though there was some Cherokee
land in the far south of Va. Would the Powhatan and other Algonqin
tribes from the fall line east have been in a position to own slaves
[or much of anything else], after being so decimated by the whites?
Inland you had the Sioux mostly [today centered in Amherst County], I
haven't heard that they did, as a practice. An interesting topic to
look into. I would guess there were individual instances, just like a
family would enslave a white or a member of another tribe. From the
little I've read on it, these slaves were often treated quite badly,
even brutally. You'd be better off if the family adopted you.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone