From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:32:02 EDT
Hello Cousin-in-Law John,

About two months ago I noticed reference to a Major Joseph CROSHAW, prominent
man of mid 1600s York Co VA (borders New Kent where the "Davis"
wife-of-a-Davenport candidates are I understand), and there are King & Queen
Co Croshaw records (borders King William Co)

So, I have been wondering whether or not Crotia might be some version of
Croshaw.  Joseph had several children, was in the House of Burgesses, etc.,
see excerpt from Wm & Mary Quarterly pasted in from VaGenweb archives below.

While it was more common for men to have given names that were surnames, it
was certainly not unheard of for women.

I have done nothing more with this than say "aha!" when I saw it; but maybe
there IS something here, and I give it to you as my meager contribution.  You
might recognize some names I don't.  There might be some records of interest
in York (not burned) or King & Queen, the two counties mentioned.  If you go
to the UsGenweb Archives State search engine and enter "croshaw or croshew or
creshaw) there are 19 hits.  http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ussearch.htm
All about Joseph I think.

Best Regards and let me know what you think, or if you've already looked at
the family.

Janet  (Baugh) Hunter

***********************************

William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Papers, Vol. 2, No. 4.
   (Apr., 1894), pp. 270-278.

                                  NOTES AND QUERIES.

   CROSHAW - WEST - GRAVES - WHITE.  Joseph Croshaw, J. P. of York County,
1655, and sub-
sequent years, major of militia, member of H. of B. in 1659 and 1660, died
10th April, 1667.
Married 1. ------ ------ 2. Perhaps widow Finch [the index of the oldest book
(1644-1649)
in the clerk's office at Yorktown, the front pages being torn away, has
"Croshaw's joynture
to Mrs. ffinch", "his bond to menteyne Elizabeth ffinch", "his bond for a
heifer to Betty
ffinch".  Henry Finch brother of Sir John Finch was in the Council,
1631-'33].  3.  Anne ----,
relict of Augustine Hodges, who d. after Jan. 25, 1660-'61, and she remar.
Croshaw before
July 24, 1661, and died July 20, 1663.  4.  Margaret ---- (d. Sept. 30,
1664), widow of
Daniel Tucker who had Dorothy Tucker.  (D. T. mar. 1st Capt, Bryan Smith of
New Kent and
2d Hugh Owen, the lawyer).  5.  Mary ----, widow of Thomas Bromfield (d.
Sept. 1665).  She
survived him and married 2dly Clement Marsh.  Issue of Cro-

Page 271.

shaw by his first wife:  Benjamin and Joseph (godsons of Dr. John Broch),
living in 1646, but
d.s.p.  Rachel married to Ralph Graves before 1656; Mary mar. to Henry White
before 1661; and
Unity, wife of Col. John West, nephew of Lord Delaware.  The 3d wife must
have married three
times as she had a daughter living in 1661 by name Jane Bignall.  By the 5th
wife [she had
Anne Bromfield by 1st marr.] he had Joseph, who married, but d.s.p.; and Col.
John West
received the whole estate of Major Croshaw.  His home was called "Poplar
Neck", and was sold
by Col. West and Unity, his wife, in 1687 to Edmund Jenings, Secretary of
State, who named
it "Rippon Hall", and died there June 2, 1727.

   Ralph1 Graves (d. May 9, 1667), headright to Croshaw, had Anne, Ralph2,
William and
Mary.  His widow, Rachel, m., 2dly Richard Barnes, and d. April 20, 1669.

   Ralph2 Graves m. his cousin, Unity, d. of Henry and Mary (Croshaw) White,
and had Ralph2
(d. Feb. 1748-9), who m. 1st Mary d. of William Pinkethman and 2dly Elizabeth
-----, and had
William4, Henry, Richard4, Richard Croshaw, Unity m. William Hilliard,
Elizabeth m. -----
Stone.  William4 died in 1758, and had Ralph5, John, Henry Brown, Mary m.
----- Winfrey,
Susannah m. ----- Powsers, and Sally.  Ralph5, son of William4, mar. Letitia
Power, dau. of
Major John Power of New Kent County (his will was proved in York County, 15th
Feb. 1768) and
had Letitia Power Graves, "his heiress", who m. John M. Gregory, father of
Gov. John M.
Gregory who was born July 8, 1804.

   Richard4 Graves, of New Kent County, m. Dyonisia - and had Charles Henry
(b. 1753), Mary,
William (b. 1756), Ralph (b. 1758), and Sarah Cobb.

   Richard Croshaw4 m. before 1771 Elizabeth, dau. of Joseph Valentine.

   Capt. Richard Croshaw was brother of Major Joseph Croshaw and was b. in
1621 and d. in
April, 1669; m. Elizabeth -----, and left Benjamin d.s.p. [as Benjamin was a
name given to a
son by each brother it was probably the name of their father], Rachel who m.
John Walker, of
St. Steven's Parish in King and Queen County, Margaret d.s.p., and Elizabeth
who m. Rie Jones
of York County.  [The latter's will was proved May 24, 1697; he had Morris
Jones, Rebecca,
and other children.  In 1724, Elizabeth, admr. of Richard Croshaw Walker, was
wife to
Christopher Beverely.  Croshaw is sometimes written Crosher in the records.]

Page 272.

   [Authorities for the above are:  York County Records, Bruton Parish
Register, Sainsbury
MSS., Ludwell MSS., and St. Peter's Parish Register.  The Abingdon Parish
Register has
interesting data about a family of Graves, in which Thomas, John and Benjamin
occur as
family names.  These entries will be given in the next number.]