From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:48:05 -0500
Thanks for all your replies about transporting, and yes, this
magazine article sounds like an excellent idea. I think there is also
a need to go more into the "middling" planters, merchants and
craftsmen, how they arrived, how they lived. There was a huge class
of modestly wealthy, intelligent, hard working and successful people
in Virginia that has been pretty much ignored, at least in the more
popular sources. So much of Virginia history seems to be about the
wealthiest landowners (the "FFVs"), or more recently the slaves. I
have more to say on this later, and why I am trying to get the facts
straight. A teaser, my own ancestor seems to have been a Catholic
recusant from a very strongly Catholic family in Britain, who came to
Virginia in 1636; I am currently working on the family history in
Lancashire with a distant cousin, and it is quite interesting (and
surprising). Virginia seems to have been a destination for many
dissenters- Quakers, French Huguenots and others. In my family there
were several priests who were executed, houses of some in the family
who were spied on by agents of the crown as being meeting places for
Catholics. My distant cousin says the family was quite prominent in
the area and then... nothing. They seemed to disappear. Did the bulk
of them come to Virginia? So I wonder if the immigrant came over, and
then sent for those 11 other settlers, who would have been other
Catholic friends or family members. His son is the one who got the
550 acres, and it was about the time his father died, so he might
have been using the headrights his father earned and didn't bring
over the 11 people himself. As there are such gaps in early Henrico
records, I haven't been able to find out who the people were or
exactly when they came over. His son is the one who bought the 17
acres from Byrd on what is now the crest of Church hill, Richmond,
and named it Farrington. Which, probably not coincidentally, is the
name of a place in Lancashire, where the family came from. It would
be interesting to find out if the names for the other large
properties on that first Richmond map were also named for places the
new owners came from.

Nancy (in Orange County!)

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone