From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 06:27:16 -0500
Hi Elizabeth,
It is mighty good to hear from you again.  I recall, with pleasuer and awe, how you guided the technical fortunes of VA-HIST in its growth days.

The project sounds interesting and needed, and like most things like this, I have absolutely no expertise, but at the same time have opinions.  Let me suggest you get in touch with Charles Irons who I believe is now at Elon College.  He received his PhD from UVa last June and for this last two years developed and managed the online site of the Cabell papers special collection (under Michael Plunkett).  I heard him describe what he was doing and why the collection itself was so important, and how it was breaking new ground to have the index of everything online, and images of many things available online.

My only other observation is to be careful of categorizing things too early into one area or another.  For example, something may have 'Civil War' written all over it, but may involve the role of women in 19th century Virginia.  My only suggestion here is to stick with some keywords (key categories) as far into the process as you can, then if it is necessary to pick only one, do it but leave the keywords there.

Randy Cabell