From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:59:55 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Hi Folks,

Please join us on Wednesday, August 12, to hear “The Traitor's Epiphany:  Benedict Arnold in Virginia and His Quest for Vindication."  Our own Mark Lender will be the speaker.  This meeting will be held in conjunction with the Osher Program at the University of Richmond, in place of our regular July meeting.  Dinner will be at 5 PM, with the meeting beginning at 6 PM.  According to Osher Director Peggy Watson, there is already a great response from their students, so be sure to get there early.  The regular reminder will arrive next month.  Details are here http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html and here http://spcs.richmond.edu/osher/schedule.html

As you know, our Preservation Partner of 2015 is Campaign 1776, which won the vote.  The following is from Lindsey Morrison, who spoke at our March meeting.

What a great way to start off the July 4 weekend! On behalf of Campaign 1776 and the Civil War Trust, thank you to you and the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond for the honor of being selected as your Preservation Partner for 2015! We are absolutely thrilled to receive this and I will make a special note that this award should go to preserving Revolutionary War acres in Virginia (when the time comes). We truly appreciate the generosity of you and your members for hosting us at your meeting and selecting us for this award. I am very happy to report that this is the first of its kind to come from an American Revolution Round Table.

I will make sure to personally tell our president, Jim Lighthizer, of this.  Thank you, again, and I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Kind Regards,

 Lindsey

I’m especially pleased that ARRT-Richmond is the first Round Table to make such a donation.  Thanks to you all.  Their site is http://www.campaign1776.org/, which also features information on a new preservation effort for Parker’s Revenge in Lexington, MA.

Our friend and tour guide John Maass sent this.

On October 8, 2015, at 6:30 P.M., John Maass will be speaking about his new book, "The Road to Yorktown: Jefferson, Lafayette and the British Invasion of Virginia," at the Central Rappahannock Regional Library Headquarters theatre, 1201 Caroline Street, in Fredericksburg, VA.

In 1781, Virginia was invaded by formidable British forces that sought to subdue the Old Dominion. Lieutenant General Charles, Lord Cornwallis, led thousands of enemy troops from Norfolk to Charlottesville, burning and pillaging. Many of Virginia’s famed Patriots—including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry and Nathanael Greene—struggled to defend the commonwealth. Only by concentrating a small band of troops under energetic French general the Marquis de Lafayette were American forces able to resist British operations. With strained support from Governor Jefferson’s administration, Lafayette fought a campaign against the veteran soldiers of Lord Cornwallis that eventually led to the famed showdown at Yorktown.

Here is the link to the publisher's page: http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/9781626193918/Road-to-Yorktown-The-Jefferson-Lafayette-and-the-British-Invasion-of-Virginia

John’s book is now available.  I believe this talk will be for the Fredericksburg ARRT.  John also sent this link to an article on Claypool’s Rebellion in Hampshire Count, VA in 1781.  https://secondvirginia.wordpress.com/2015/06/17/claypools-rebellion/  I must admit that this was all new to me.  Thanks, John.

The current issue of Common Place features interesting articles about “Turn: Washington’s Spies.”

The last word in history might be story, but an ever longer list of films, documentaries, and historical dramas raise serious questions about the line separating good history from good story. In the July issue of Common-place, historian Cole Jones and social studies education professor Jeremy Stoddard turn their thoughts to AMC network’s series Turn: Washington’s Spies. Their Roundtable discussion considers whether – when creating history for mass audiences – historical “truth” trumps historical accuracy.

It’s here -  www.common-place.org.  There’s also a video of a panel discussion at William and Mary.

Bruce Venter’s The Battle of Hubbardton has been collecting positive reviews all around.  Here’s an interesting take - http://www.whatwouldthefoundersthink.com/the-battle-of-hubbardton-by-bruce-m-venter.  Amazon has it at http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Hubbardton-Military-Bruce-Venter/dp/1626193258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437839661&sr=1-1&keywords=bruce+venter.

Finally, here’s a very unique piece on the Liberty Bell http://news.psu.edu/story/140879/1999/09/01/research/let-freedom-ring  Unfortunately, the link at the bottom of the page which allowed you to actually “give the virtual Liberty Bell a ring” appears to be dead.  It wasn’t when I first discovered this.  Sorry.  Maybe there’s another source that someone can discover.

Please plan on joining us on August 12, to hear Mark lender.

Bill