From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:58:22 -0500
WOW!!!!!  What a GREAT article and most perceptive.  I hope a copy reaches each member of the governing board of the Jamestown-Yorktown Society AND the State legislative bodies.

Of course GREAT is defined as agreeing with what I believe has happened, but it is phrased so more articulate than I.  The thread that runs through the article, and indeed through the celebration reminds me of that classic line from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.".......  "Who are those guys, anyway?"

"What are we celebrating, anyway?"

The issue is clouded right from the beginning, no doubt by those Plymouth-Rock Liberals.... i.e. The Puritans brought everything good to America.  'Pelarins c'est bon avec les peaux rouge.'  Forget the massacre at Mystic early on, and burning witches.

And note that all the baggage of slavery is pinned upon Jamestown.  And the THREE cultures?  That's a new invention.  But then Colonial Williamsburg fell all over itself a few years ago to make sure every visitor had something that appealed to his/her ethnicity, regardless of whether it was factual or not.  Time and space are too short to follow these threads, though no doubt it will be grist for hundreds of VA-HIST notes.

And GOVERNOR John Smith!!!!  Now, I really like the sound of that.  Talk about what should be the motto of Jamestown-2007:

.............................."It never was  'like it was.' "

I draw strenghth from three Jamestown happenings.  #1 is the leadership of John Smith... maligned at the time by the London Company because he told them how they should be running things, and maligned today because he was obviously a Myers-Briggs Extrovert at the extreme, who said and did things that 'nice' folks don't do.  i.e. He was a George S. Patton when we needed such.  Maybe, like the Kentucky Colonels, we can make an an honorary 'governor'.

#2 as mentioned inthe article is the 1907 Jamestown Exposition.  But, even as it opened, it was maligned because it represented the worst of Imperial America, culminated by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt dispatching the big stick of THE GREAT WHITE FLEET from Hampton Roads.  But it was the coming together of America...  you only have to look at the words and music written for that celebration to see the 'coming together' of the North and South.  And interestingly enough, the 'seal' of that Exposition were the two cultures(Native American and European) coming together, shaking hands.  I am personally most disappointed that no Virginia Institution has stepped in to 'preserve, share and celebrate' anything at all about this event.  In fact, with the exception of VIRTUAL JAMESTOWN out of Tech, Virginia Institutions of higher education act like they have never heard of Jamestown.  Huh??? Jamestown???  Isn't that a city up in New York.

#3 The legacy of representative Government.  About 40 or 50 years ago, somebody down in that area -- maybe Colonial Williamsburg -- published a nice little book/chart called "Where Justice Began."  (Now that I say that, the title does not sound right.) But in any case, it was the evolution of Virginia Counties from that first legistature in Jamestown.  The concept of an elected body is what Jamestown brought to Virginia, to America and to the world.  This revolutionary concept was carried back to Europe, where it rolled across the empires still ruled by the Divine Right of Kings.....  It fuled the fires of the Protestant Reformation,  helped build toward the English Civil War, and back in America sowed the seeds which sprouted a century and a half later in form of the American Revolution, emblazoned with the motto of "No Taxation without Representation."

Music swells, credits roll, and...... whoops.....  I have gotten carried away.  Sorry......   But again (Dead Horse # 26,731), Jamestown is YOUR and MY celebration.  Realistically, like the 1807 Jubilee and like the original idea of the 1907 celebration, it is a Virginia celebration.  But the liberals have already twisted and tainted the message.  Its going  to get worse as we approach the big May weekend.  Why I bet just to insult us, Public Television is going to re-run THE PILGRIM HOUSE.  If they do, I suggest cards and letters to your local Public TV station to re-run the 'Massacre at Mystic' to counterbalance things.

Its up to you and me to do what we can to make Jamestown-2007 work.  Its now D-minus-60 and counting.

Randy Cabell - The Trumpeter of Jamestowne