From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:09:37 -0500
The Answer is..... Shenandoah.  Yes, it is rather strange to end each verse with "....across the wide Misspouri."  But I think the tune is viewed as Virginia.  I recall a couple of years ago at one of our educational institutions where a member of the staff said they could not any longer play DIXIE or BONNIE BLUE FLAG, so they did SHENANDOAH.

The best news of all is that IF it is voted the state song even for an interim time, I have a march called BAND OF THE SHENANDOAH which I wrote around the tune some 15 years ago, and which I shall gladly provide the full-band arrangement to any band in Virginia who wants it.  It has been played by such bands in Virginia as the Clarke County Community Band, Stonewall Brigade Band, Shrine Mont Marching Band, VMI Regimental Band, and VMI's Cabell-Breckinridge Brass Band.  It was one of the two keynote marches played for the return of the Winchester National Guard unit, (HHC 3rd Bn 116th Inf 29th Div) last July.  The other was Sousa's "Rifle Regiment."  Of course as long-time readers of VA-HIST will realize, I chose the two of them, so I am not the unbiased reporter I might appear :)))

I respect the druthers of VA-HIST not to clutter up the lines with audio and image attachments.  But if any of you individuals want a short (18 seconds) MP3 rendition of the last part of the Trio of BAND OF THE SHENNANDOH, let me know and I'll send it.  I assure you that it will cause your toes to tap, your feet to step out smartly, and give you an upbeat way to start the new day :))

Randy Cabell

Shoot.  Now that I think about it, whether or not it is chosen the state song, the march is so good that I'll send it to any band in the state that wants a copy of it.  RWC