From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:32:05 -0500
I noticed, while in Australia and Scotland, that the locals, when
talking amongst themselves, would be hard for me to understand. Their
speech was rapid, and in Australia filled with slang. They'd have to
slow down so I could get it. Esp. in western Scotland, where many
still speak Gaelic, I could be on a  bus or train and not be able to
tell if people were speaking Gaelic or English, unless I heard the
occasional "and" or "the", which told me it was English [with a very
strong accent]. I suspect, in general, when people are talking with
others from the same area, they speak differently than they do around
others. Maybe a comfort thing, or a bonding, a shared identity.

Conspicuous Consumption indeed. I have cleaned out the houses of
several older relatives, of the "greatest generation", and what they
had was touchingly simple compared to all the stuff we "have to have"
today. A good piece of jewelry or two, for special occasions, and one
or two "best" suits or dresses. Nice drapes they kept for years. The
"good china," with nice linens to go along. And these were decent
people, who led very productive and satisfying lives, minus houses
crammed full of pointless clutter.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone