From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:29:27 -0400
On Apr 3, 2008, at 11:33 AM, Vejnar Robert J. wrote:

> Again, Mr. Browning, for some strange reason, refuses to listen to
> what
> (or read) what the professionals in the field have determined.
OH, I like that. Determinations are funny things. Some folks will
cling to them as if they are dogma while others realize that they are
moving targets.

>  I find
> this both humorous and insulting.  I did not spend years in graduate
> school and years in the profession to be lectured by non-professionals
> on how best to preserve materials.
Got up on the wrong side of the archive this morning, did you?
Strictly speaking, we're not talking about preservation of materials,
but rather the ability to have materials electronically available,
equids of entirely different species, much less colors. We've gone
from the originals to B&W smudgy copies in microfilm/fiche to B&W
scanned copies in e-format to color copies in e-format. Techno-
advances allowed that to happen.

> I have not come across many archivists - because we have no
> professional
> training in it - who would dare think they knew enough to instruct
> professional archaeologists on how to dig in the dirt.
One of the strengths of archaeology is that we come from different
backgrounds (or at least my generation and the preceding ones did) and
we adapt our techniques to what works. We've had good ideas come from
entirely outside the profession and adopt them wholeheartedly as we
are smart enough to realize we don't know it all and are willing to
learn. So, if you come onto one of my digs and have a good suggestion,
I will adopt it. Or course, I don't speak for everyone and there may
be a few hidebound diehards who won't listen, but they're well known
anyway and won't listen inside the profession, much less outside it.

>  If the
> archivists will refrain from trying to instruct archaeologists on
> how to
> do their work then I would hope the archaeologists would refrain from
> trying to instruct the archivists on how to do theirs.
Instruct? Not me. I am simply relating how my limited knowledge of
computers has allowed me to move all my stuff over from the various
systems, formats and media to be currently useful. Other folks do it
as well.

The technology market will overtake those who spend a lifetime arguing
about which standards and formats are going to work best. There are
those who wait for the perfect solution and there are those who get on
with it, imperfect as any system may be.

Archaeologists use all sorts of tools generated by others to do their
work, and are not generally inventing them. Archivists, as the keepers
of the materials, are also adopting the technology, and are not
generally inventing it. The LVA had a great initiative to digitize
their map collection. It was expensive and it worked. Unfortunately,
due to budget cuts, it was shelved. That has been lamented inside and
out of LVA for years.

> And no, if it's electronic, it is NOT necessarily migratable.
But the other 99.99% is and that is my point. Certainly there is odd
stuff that hasn't made it due to format issues. For instance, I can't
get an old (1999) Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800 to talk with a current computer
and there is nothing on the market that works that I can find. The
software gurus who do the current edition Zaurus say there is no way.
Good thing I got all my data out before that bridge went down.

Lyle Browning