From:
"Perkins, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:58:32 -0400
A free family-friendly event:

Civil War Living History Day: Communication & Technology
Saturday, April 27, 2013.  11 am - 4 pm.
Dabbs House Museum (3812 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, VA  23223)

Living History/Exhibit area:

The Signal Corps of the James will demonstrating period telegraphs and signal flags.  A few members of the NPS Richmond Battlefield cannon crew will bring their reproduction cannon.  There will be a display about Civil War railroads.  There will also be a Confederate surgeon and a Union hospital steward.    Finally, we will have soldiers from the 15th Virginia Infantry to talk about small firearms and provide musket firing demonstrations.

Children’s Activities:

Children will have the opportunity to make their own signal flags, decipher telegrams, and make their own spy decoder disk.  They can also do a scavenger hunt in the museum.

Lectures:

There will be 3 lectures/presentations in the afternoon.

1 p.m. – Civil War Railroads by Bert Dunkerly of Richmond NPS
2 p.m. – Civil War/Confederate Balloons by Bryce VanStavern of the Museum of the Confederacy
3 p.m. – Civil War Medicine by Dr. Adrian Wheat (retired, US army/member of Society of Civil War Surgeons)

We will raffle off 2 tickets to our Dinner with Jefferson Davis (Friday, May 24, 6 – 8:30 p.m., Walkerton Tavern) for visitors who come this Saturday, April 27 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

For more information, please call 804-652-3409.

Janet J. Perkins
Office Assistant III
Henrico County Recreation and Parks
office: 804.652.3406
[log in to unmask] | henricorecandparks.com