From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:54:39 -0500
Barbara,

I don't know anything about Rommel and Culpeper, but during my tenure as
Director of Bedford Main Street, Inc. in Bedford, VA, the county court
house was undergoing renovation. As a part of this, two stone monuments
from France were lifted and re-set. A small time capsule in a glass jar
(dating to 1954 [the 10-year anniversary of D-Day) was uncovered. In it,
among other things, were a few uniform parts (collar insignia, I think)
formerly owned by Rommel. The items were turned over either to the National
D Day Memorial Foundation or the Bedford City/County Museum. I always
wondered how something of Rommel's got to Virginia...I'm not sure if this
story is connected to yours or not.

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith
Lynchburg, VA