From:
"James W. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 11:04:09 -0400
Hi,

You may want to search the US Geographic Names database at
http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/.  This database should have all names
that ever appeared on a USGS topographic map, along with the lat/long
(easy to use in a GIS, let me kow if you want some assistance with
this).  I searched on Pittsylvania County and schools, and came up with
over 100 items.   While there may not be names on the map sheet you are
looking at, some may have been labeled on other editions or later maps.
I'm not familiar with school symbols in particular, but the cartographic
conventions changed through time, and inclusion or exclusion of labels
may have not been strictly based on the type of school.  As you suggest,
it may have been that they didn't know the name, etc.

You may also be interested to know that the USGS is in the process of
scanning all of their historic map sheets (see "Scanning and
Georeferencing Historical USGS Quadrangles" at
http://nationalmap.gov/factsheets.html).  They are also georeferencing
these maps as they scan them to facilitate their use in GIS and online
mapping systems.

James

--
James W. Wilson, PhD
Assistant Professor of Geographic Science