From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:41:43 -0330
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:08:09 -0500, Anne Pemberton wrote
> Can anyone tell me about the bread Pocahontas might have escorted to
> Jamestown. I know it was made from cornmeal and baked on a flat
> stone by the fire. I wonder if it had any levening in it? Did it
> have to be kneaded? Did it have to rise? Or was it sorta like tacos
> or tortillas? About how large was it?

No levening, just cornmeal and hot water. It would have likely been in little
cakes a few inches in diameter.

Technically it's the original corn "pone" which comes from the Powhatan
word "apone" meaning bread.

You might want to get a copy of "Jamestown Narratives" because Smith,
Strachey, and Archer go into great detail describing a lot of the food and
daily life practices of the Powhatans. Pretty fascinating reading of
interesting details written by actual eyewitnesses.

Regards,

Tom A.