From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:51:10 -0500

If I recall correctly, there was also a school for mulatto and
African-American children which was established by a Quaker family at
Curles, Henrico Co.  Others were taught secretively- for example, a
Virginia woman was said to have been imprisoned prior to the Civil War
when she was caught teaching these children to read and write.(Some of
the children were said to be her kin as well.)

Also re African-American surnames, some of the African Americans chose
surnames not only because of biological descent, but also adopted a name
of a master, even if they were not related, or after a national hero.
(For example, there were at least 800 African Americans during the Civil
War named George Washington.) See David H. Streets' book entitled "Slave
Genealogy: A Research Guide With Case Studies," Bowie, MD: Heritage
Books, 1986. This book explains the various ways families chose their
names and how to trace them.