From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:39:53 -0500
Gentrification by African-Americans generally brings out very strange, not
to say atavistic reactions from rural and small town European-Americans.
The story of the shift in Montgomery County, MD is telling.  As tens of
thousands of black people moved out of Washington, DC into that suburb, the
country became obviously blacker, but also wealtheir and better educated.
While this integration was carried out fairly peacefully, I will bet there
is a doctoral dissertation lurking in a close research of the process.

A similar gentrification is taking place to the south, in Virginia, where I
read even the Northern Neck region is being subdivided.  As an historian of
the South, I never simply dispose of race as a subject of analysis, but the
moving of portions of the black (and Latino) administrative and professional
elite (I hate the term middle class because it describes so little) into
developing northern Virginia will also raise sharp questions of class as
well.

Harold S. Forsythe